Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Alex in on his mission NOW!

He's in the MTC!! Yep, he finally made it! It seemed like it would never come, but now it seems to have come too quickly. We are all terribly sad, but very proud of him for his descision. It was a challenge getting everything ready. Last night we had to get a second BIG suitcase because he is taking so much... two large towels, 14 ties, extra pants, extra shirts, a big blanket... I realized this morning that I hadn't done the Immunization Card. That was terrible. I don't know how I missed that. So we had to go to the Dr's office and he had to sign for a copy of the immunization record. I was just glad I had caught it before it was too late. Alex called his grammie and grandma as we were travelling down to Provo, that started me crying.... a little anyway. Yesterday was the worst crying day, today is more business and getting it done.
We had to check in at the church by the LaVell Edwards stadium. It is the site of the church that Tim and I went to when we were newly married and at BYU. There were tons of missionaries going in. I tried not to look at all the crying moms as we drove in or I may have started up again. The volunteers were all wonderful. They congratulated Alex and were so nice. He checked in his suitcase and got his badge and then we took pictures and then we went into "THE MEETING." It was nice to hear the wonderful advice and information they gave. Alex was acting a bit nervous, but excited. When they said for us to say our good byes, I didn't think I was going to be able to do it. Alex said, "I am not going to cry!" Then he was funny about hugging us. He hugged us each about 3 or 4 times. Then off he went. Tim was outside when they walked by on their way to the bus. He got to see Alex one last time before he was gone. Tim gave him the gang sign they always gave each other (teasingly). Alex did it back and off he went.
The trip home was rough. I thought Tim might have to pull over because he couldn't see thru his tears. But I knew I couldn't drive and Marley was sitting between us in the front seat so she wouldn't have to cry alone in the back. We have been crying off and on for several days and today, since Alex has been gone, has been the worst. I never expected it to be THIS difficult.
Some interesting things. Last night when Alex got set apart, he thought he would have to go home and stay in his suit and not do anything. We had to go to the store to get that other big suitcase, so Tim told him he could change into his regular clothes, and he could come with us. Then today, when we were walking into the chapel, the lady in front of us told Alex they were from Nevada and asked where Alex was serving. He said, Orlando and she pointed to her son and said, "so is he!" Small world.
Packing up the car...

Our last Family Meal... for 2 years anyways.
He had to check in at the church next to the stadium at BYU!
Putting on THE badge!
He has a new name now... it is ELDER!!!!!
Our last Family Picture


Then they got Bussed to the MTC. Kinda sad we didn't get to go to the MTC.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori...My Heart goes out to you all. He gets an adventure. while we wait to hear and pray for his safety and miss him terribly.

I love you all so much. I am so glad we were up there to see him. We love him and his desire to go.

Thank you for the pictures. I have such a lump in my throat which makes my tears flow and i know our father in heaven is right with him.

Please keep in touch and let us know often how you all are doing.

I love you!!

Love, Kori

Kerstin said...

Your post made me cry. It must be so hard as a mother to let your son go like that for two years, I only hope that in about 15 1/2-16 years I will be going through the same thing you are ;). I am so proud of Alex and his decision to go on a mission. It makes me so happy that I have brothers and cousins who are such a great example to Landon. I love you guys and hopefully, the next two years will fly by.

Cricket said...

Lori,

I know how you feel. I may only be Brandon's step-mom but I love him very much and miss him. But man....how he has grown already. His emails and letters are from a man that is on a mission for the Lord. The little boy is gone, and so is the bratty teenager. He is so mature already!

And in four years I get to do it again with Cody....I can't even think about that one yet:(

I'm so excited our sons are in the MTC together. They will do great. It's us I worry about...LOL

Call me anytime you need a hug.
Here is one now(((((hug)))))
Love ya,
Cricket

Our Family